What does Non-Destructive Testing involve?
Non-Destructive Testing (NDT) is a wide group of analysis techniques employing specific methods to evaluate the condition of plant and equipment without causing damage.
NDT is carried out at all stages of the asset life cycle from the construction of plant and equipment through to regular testing during planned downtime or at set intervals throughout its asset life.
Successful and consistent application of NDT depends heavily on personnel training, industry knowledge and experience. Without experience in using NDT techniques, it can be easy to misread false indicators resulting in approval of a piece of plant as safe when in fact it has discontinuities.
Why Conduct Non Destructive Testing (NDT)?
NDT assists to ensure:
- Plant and equipment safety
- Site and personnel safety
- Compliance with Australian Regulations and Standards
- Prevention of loss of productivity with unplanned downtime
- Cost effective savings in simple repairs instead of complicated repairs of equipment replacements
Common types of Non Destructive Testing
Ultrasonic testing (UT)
UT uses sound in the detection of material thickness, weld discontinuities or defects, cracking on shafts and lamination checks for corrosion mapping.
Magnetic Particle Testing (MT)
MT is used to detect ferrous material defects in plates prior to welding, with each weld pass or layer, in post-weld evaluation, and to inspect weld repairs.
Liquid Penetrant Testing (PT)
PT is employed for detecting surface breaking flaws in ferrous and nonferrous materials by bleed out of a coloured or fluorescent dye from the flaw.
Eddy Current Testing (ET)
ET can detect flaws in surfaces by scanning them using electromagnetism.
AME’s Non Destructive Testing Services
Our NDT inspection services are suitable for any and every stage of a project. Discover a range of inspection services to supply customers with manufacturing and maintenance inspection and testing support.
- Raw Material Inspection
- Weld Inspection – Fabrication/Repair
- Equipment Overhaul Inspection
- Turbine Overhaul Inspection
- Steering Ball Stud Inspection
- Heavy Machinery Interpretations
- Acoustic Compressed Airline Surveys
- Thickness Surveys
- Ball Mill Inspection
- Tank Inspection
- Casting Inspection
- Forging Inspection